I'm hoping everyone received the invitation to participate in my poll: Wizards vs. Vampires. If not, I think you can find it on Wiggio and participate anyways, but I'm not sure... Thank you to everyone who submitted their votes already! :)So far I've just been reading and taking notes on the Harry Potter books. There are sticky notes everywhere and it's just a mess. & It's more time consuming than I predicted, but I'm about halfway through the fourth one already so it's all good. I don't have much to talk about yet, because I haven't started writing my book or anything. Since I didn't want to blog about my notes, I decided to start my research and enlighten you all with some witty banter. Here is a blog from a girl who is "unconditionally and irrevocably in love" with Twilight. I'm a teensy bit opinionated, so I couldn't resist making a few comments here and there. I found it while researching the HP vs. Twilight debate, and I really hope it makes some of you smile:
"Twilight is so much better because it's real, at least it could be real." --Okay... Wait. What?-- "Harry Potter is just about some teenage kids who desperately need to grow up." --As opposed to what? Some teenagers who can't grow up?-- "Also there is no love in HP," --Yes. None at all. Everyone hates each other.-- "Twilight is like the modern romeo & juliet, because if anyone has read romeo & juliet you would see how similar the mindless obsession is....." --How is mindless obsession 'love'? And to compare the messed up Bella/Edward/Jacob/Half-Vampire-Half-Human-Spawn love square thing to Romeo and Juliet? Well, Shakespeare just did backflips in his grave.-- "... I dont think they are badly written either, i think they are written so anyone can read and understand without the use of your dictionary," --Lies. Don't even get me started on her obsession with her thesaurus. I'm glad a fantastic writer like yourself tried to clear that up.-- "my 7 year old brother loves the [Harry Potter] films and would love to read the [Harry Potter] books but he cannot read them...they are too advanced for him..therefore they are NOT geared towards every age group" -- Yes because Twilight, with its multiple references to heroin and sex, is perfect for little kids. Unlike the Harry Potter books, because that's just about good vs. evil. No good lessons in it at all...-- "...Twilight goes more in depth with the emotions. You can feel Bella's pain when Edward leaves her. You can feel her confusion between Edward and Jacob. You can feel her love for Renesmee" --All I felt was my last meal trying to find its way out of my stomach. Sorry-- "...Because unlike Harry no one thoughts are actually that deep and intellectual." --Yes, good thing Bella is so 'deep'. Wouldn't want her to be cheerful or independent or anything at the same time. She's too clumsy to multitask.-- "Infact i bet if any of us published our thoughts into a book none of them would be great english lit. Infact Bellas thoughts are more realistic." --Yes. Teenage girls usually read Wuthering Heights 77 times and don't get freaked out by 108-year-old men watching them sleep or vampires trying to kill them.-- "...to those who are disturbed by bella and edward's story need to remeber that this is FICTION." --Way to contradict yourself. I thought it was real...-- "as in most fantasy fiction novels, reality is heightened in book." --What?-- "you are not supposed to literally think that a guy like Edward REALLY EXISTS out there for you. he is a fantasy character as even his species, a vampire, does not exist in the real world." --Thanks for clearing that up. Everyone was a bit confused.-- "he is a creature of pure imagination who is helplessly devoted to his beloved Bella to the point of obsession." --Which is completely normal and romantic.-- "If every book had to have a normal relationship they would all be the same, boring and no point in reading." --Yes. Every romance novel that is vampire-free is pointless. I can see how codependency is much more romantic.
If you want to read the whole thing without my interruptions, here's the link:
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/harry-potter-vs-twilight/forum/post/41229/title/1000-reasons-why-twilight-better-than-harry-potter
Oh! I must admit I did see Eclipse last night at midnight. The movies are better than the books because you don't have to deal with Stephanie Meyer's writing, but barely. I actually thought Eclipse was fairly amusing, though I'm sure the majority of the comedy was unintentional...
I'm still a bit shocked that the Twilight fan would say there's no love in HP. Voldemort can't kill Harry because Harry's mother sacrificed herself to save him (AKA: love). Human relationships form the core of this series. Even in the first three books. (There are more important things than romance, but Meyer seems to think otherwise. Bella ditches her parents and all of her friends for a sparkly leech... Which is weird. & When he's gone she just sits around doing nothing and complains about the hole in her chest.) Rowling focuses on friendship and family. In the third book, Hagrid criticizes Harry and Ron for ignoring Hermione because of a rat and a broomstick. And while preparing to murder Pettigrew, Sirius yells "You should have died! Died rather than betray your friends!" And even if that "Twihard" was only focused on romance--which she obviously was--there's all of the Harry-Cho/Harry-Ginny/Hermione-Krum/Ron-Lavender/Ron-Hermione relationship issues. But I'm only halfway through the fourth book right now and none of that has gone down yet... Shh... :)
I'm so nerdy... That's all for now!
Oh! And the HP7 trailer... It looks awesome!
http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/harrypotterandthedeathlyhallows/
No comments:
Post a Comment